website statistics
Mission: Reconnaissance - between Isle of Wight and Brighton.

Date: 17th December 1942

Unit: 4 Staffel./Fernaufklaerungsgruppe 123

Type: Messerschmitt Bf 109F-4


Code: 7 + (White)
Location: 3 - 6 miles SE of St. Catherines Point, Isle of Wight.

Pilot: Leutnant. Karl Raucheisen. 69004/261 – Missing. (Born 14.02.1920 in Ingolstadt.)


This aircraft was from the newly formed 4th Staffel, (nicknamed the Rueck Geschwader) This pilot together with Oblt Karl Rueck were flying at zero feet over the English Channel when intercepted by F/Sgt. Murphy (Red 1) and Sgt. Taylor-Cannon (Red 2) in two Hawker Typhoon IB's of No. 486 N.Z. Squadron. Both Messerschmittís were shot down into the sea. Sadly there were no survivors. Oblt. Rueck and Lt. Raucheisen are both still listed as missing in action.

Combat Report of F/Sgt Murphy and Sgt Taylor-Cannon;

Airborne 1535 - 1630 hours on Coastal Patrol Selsey - St. Catherine’s Point, (controlled by Tangmere F/Lt Sears, Black Gang Controller, S/L Clarke section under Black Gang control at time of interception,) were given a vector of 260 degrees when a few miles South of the Nab Tower, flying approximately SSW at 1,000 feet in line astern. Two aircraft were sighted flying NE at zero feet about 1,500 yards away when our section was about 3 miles off St. Catherine’s Point.

At first the aircraft did not appear to see Red section which turned to port on to 060 degrees and gave chase, they then turned SE and closing to about 300 yards clearly recognised them as two Me 109F's and opened fire with several short bursts of cannon closing still further, very rapidly (A.S.I. 350) to 100 yards in line abreast. By this time all aircraft were right down on the deck with the enemy aircraft adopting a spiral weave type of evasive action crossing over several times, as Red section attacked with the result that both Red 1 and 2 engaged each aircraft, strikes being observed on fuselage and engine of both enemy aircraft.

They soon abandoned the spiral weave action, straightened out and flew parallel courses, apparently "flat out".

The plane subsequently destroyed by Red 2 jettisoned its hood and with pieces breaking from it climbed to about 800 feet made a diving turn to starboard and went straight into the sea. The other, destroyed by Red 1, with smoke pouring from its tanks, lowered its flaps, raised its nose slightly, burst into flames and dived into the water. Red section then returned to base.

1 25.06.42 Lt.Raucheisen return from first mission to Falmouth
Leutnant. Raucheisen returns home safely from his first mission to England with
4./(F)123 on the 25.06.42 return from Falmouth (Brownless)

2 the last sunset over the sea

Burial detail: None lost at sea.

Researched and compiled by Melvin Brownless in memory of Karl Raucheisen, missing at sea. If anyone has links to the Raucheisen family then please contact me. March 2015.
The British Library is preserving this site for the future in the UK Web Archive at All Aircrew Remembered on our Remembrance pages, are therefor not just remembered here, but also subsequently remembered and recorded as part of our nation’s history
and heritage at The British Library.